Nov 15, 2011

The Phone Drawer

It turns out I saved all of my old cell phones. I didn't set out to do this. It just happened. So, now, every time I open the drawer that happens to contain my old cell phones I feel weird about the whole thing. As well, nearly every single time I open that drawer I imagine the cell phones finally on a shelf in an antique store somewhere. Left over crummy plastic artifacts. But, you know, why not? I ran across several unopened cans of soup at one of my favorite antique stores recently. They were only fifty years old and very reasonably priced. No, these cell phones, though functionally dead, haven't even begun their real journeys, yet. They don't even know what they're in for. They're just resting, now. Gathering strength. Being protected from dust, direct sunlight and the threat of landfills so that they can one day fulfill their real, penultimate purpose (their ultimate purpose being something beyond my imagination though fuel seems likely). I almost envy them, these cell phones. Almost.  

2 comments:

  1. I think that is really cool...and if you hang onto them for long enough, they could go in some museum or be worth money, who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? Somebody understands!

    ReplyDelete